The Surgery:

Updated: Apr 6, 2020

My first angiogram didn’t show results that the neurosurgeon wanted because too much fluid was built in my head. She told me we would need to wait another day because she knew it was there somewhere.

My second angiogram was a complete nightmare-I still dream about it and break into a sweat. They wheeled me down to the room and got me shuffled to the next bed. Once the contrast was placed, I had a series of checks. The last one burned like crazy and all the sudden I lost vision in my left eye and paralyzed on the left side of my body (only temporally). I screamed out and the doctors came rushing to me. I looked over at the screen with my good eye and saw it- the aneurysm. My angel neurosurgeon told me, “I have good news/bad news”. One, they found it and two, I will need massive open head brain surgery to clip it. She informed my family and I that the surgery will be 10.5 hours.

I cried and cried like a baby. This was the scariest thing I have encountered in my life and I felt lost. We were told initially when I arrived downtown that with SAH patients, 1/3 die, 1/3 have debilitations and the other 1/3 make it. I was the 1/3 that was lucky, so this surgery was a god send.

The day before the surgery, I gave Brandon all my passwords and information to accounts just in case I didn’t make it. This was necessary because my neurosurgeon said there was a chance I could die.

That night I laid in the bed shivering from fear. The nurses came in trying their best to comfort me, letting me know I have the best neurosurgeon operating on me. I had to stay focused that I would make it.

The day of the surgery, they came to get me. I took a deep breath and told myself that I was a warrior and I would make it through this. I have too much to offer in this life and it can’t end. After they put me to sleep, I went blank. I can’t imagine the agonizing hours that went by for my husband and family. Alas, the surgery was over, and I made it.

The next morning, I woke up and couldn’t open my left eye or hardly move. My neurosurgeon came in and told me the surgery was a success! It would take two days before my left eye would open and I would need two additional weeks in the ICU to slowly raise my clamp on the drain so they could eventually take it out.

The recovery process from the surgery had positive and negative moments. I made sure to document my journey as much as I could when I was lucid. The posts can be found on this blog to give you insight of my day to day.

From Jan 29th to Feb 16th, I stayed in ICU. The 16th was a happy day because I was finally discharged.

38 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All